What causes crooked teeth?
February 24th, 2012
There are several reasons why some people’s teeth grow in crooked, overlapping, or twisted. Some people’s mouths are too small for their teeth, which crowds the teeth and causes them to shift. In other cases, a person’s upper and lower jaws aren’t the same size or are malformed. Most often, crooked teeth are inherited traits just as the color of your eyes or hair. Other causes of crooked teeth are early loss of baby or adult teeth, undue pressure on the teeth and gums, misalignment of jaw after facial injury, or common oral health problems in children such as thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, or prolonged use of a bottle or pacifier.
Having crooked teeth isn’t just a cosmetic issue; it can lead to serious health problems as well. Crooked teeth can:
- Interfere with proper chewing
- Make keeping teeth clean more of a challenge, increasing the risk of tooth decay, cavities, and gingivitis
- Strain the teeth, jaws, and muscles, increasing the risk of breaking a tooth
There are several orthodontic procedures that can help correct crooked teeth, and at Orthodontic Specialists we have many services that we can customize to meet your needs. We want you to be proud to show off your smile!
Presidents’ Day Fun Facts!
February 17th, 2012
Monday, Feb. 20 marks Presidents’ Day, a day known for celebrating of both George Washington’s and Abraham Lincoln’s combined Birthdays. Presidents’ Day was created in 1971, when President Richard Nixon combined the birthdays of two of our most well-known presidents into one single federal holiday. Presidents’ Day also marks a hard-earned day off from work and school for a lot of our patients at Orthodontic Specialists.
Here are a few fun facts about our nation’s presidents:
- Abraham Lincoln, our 16th president, carried letters, bills and notes in his tall stovepipe hat.
- George Washington is the first president to be featured on a postage stamp.
- Ronald Reagan, our 40th president, broke the so-called “20-year curse,” in which every president elected in a year ending in zero died in office.
- Abraham Lincoln was the tallest of the U.S. presidents, measuring 6’ 4” tall.
- Virginia is the birthplace of more United States presidents than any other state, followed by Ohio and Massachusetts.
- Harry S. Truman was the first president to have his Inauguration and speeches televised.
Eichel Orthodontics is now Orthodontic Specialists!
February 08th, 2012
We are very excited to announce that Eichel Orthodontics has merged with the practice of Dr. Kevin Ison and will now be known as Orthodontic Specialists. Drs. Kevin Ison, David Eichel and Richard Liposky and the entire team at Orthodontic Specialists looks forward to serving you, your family and your friends in the foreseeable future, and providing you with only the best orthodontic treatments available.
You can now check out our updated website and Facebook page for up-to-date information about our practice.
Patient Question: “How do I prevent tooth decay during my treatment?”
February 03rd, 2012
If you are brushing and flossing daily during your orthodontic treatment with Drs. Kevin Ison, David Eichel and Richard Liposky, we think that’s great!
But, don’t forget that it’s also important for you to visit your general dentist every 3-to-6 months in addition to brushing your teeth and flossingv (and visiting Orthodontic Specialists, of course). Regular dental checkups are important for maintaining good oral health, especially during orthodontic treatment.
Tooth decay, which is caused by sugars left in your mouth, can turn into an acid, which in turn can break down your teeth. Children are at high risk for tooth decay because adolescents tend to be lax in their oral hygiene habits. Proper brushing and flossing routines, combined with regular dental visits, help keep tooth decay away.
If you have any questions, please be sure to ask Drs. Ison, Eichel and Liposky or our team during your next adjustment appointment, or ask us on Facebook!
- Meet Orthodontic Team
- New Patients
- About Orthodontics
- Damon® System
- AcceleDent® Aura